MBA/MSE Admission Requirements
The Master of Business Administration and Master of Software Engineering (MBA/MSE) degree program is a 32-month (seven semester) program, starting each year in late August. This dual-degree program is designed for exceptionally strong candidates applying for the MBA and the MSE programs. Each applicant must have an engineering/science background for the MSE. The completion date cannot be accelerated; students must remain in residence at Carnegie Mellon for the full seven semesters of the program.
Three-year undergraduate degrees from outside the United States (i.e., United Kingdom, India, etc.) are generally not considered to be the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor degree. A bachelor degree from an accredited institution is the minimum requirement for admission to our professional master's programs.
We encourage all prospective students to review all released consumer information regarding study at Carnegie Mellon; this information is available via The Hub.
To enter the Carnegie Mellon program you must have:
- Applied to both the MBA and MSE programs, through the Tepper School of Business and the Master of Software Engineering online application portals. The schools to which you apply will send separate notifications of your acceptance status.
- Review the admission requirements of both dual-degree programs. Additional MSE requirements include:
- a bachelor of science degree in engineering or science
- a completed application form
- well-developed statement of purpose (SOP)
- one (1) page summary of significant professional experience
- current resume
- three (3) letters of recommendation
- video essay of yourself. Tell us something about yourself in a 1-2 minute video that we can’t know from the rest of your application materials.
- unofficial undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts
unofficial Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and/or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score**Note: Official GRE/GMAT and TOEFL score reports are required to be sent at the time of application.
- unofficial TOEFL (or equivalent) exam scores for all international applicants/non-U.S. citizens. All applicants whose mother language is not English must submit a TOEFL score even if they have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. educational institution. TOEFL scores are only valid and accepted if the score is no older than 2 years old IELTS test scores are also acceptable.
- Codility Testing — Test Window, January 17 - January 26, 2019 (midnight)
- application fee.
**Note: Official GRE and TOEFL score reports are required to be sent at the time of application. Please note that these will not be tracked until acceptance of admission offer.
Official hard copies of your transcripts will need to be sent upon acceptance of admission offer.