CSE Admission Requirements
Applicants to the Certificate in Software Engineering (CSE) program typically program hold undergraduate degrees in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or physics. Programming experience is essential. A minimum of 6 months of industrial experience is required, preferably working as a member of a team on a significant software development project.
To enter the Carnegie Mellon program you must have:
1. Knowledge, at least at the level of an undergraduate course, of discrete mathematics, algorithms and data structures and programming languages
2. Skills in programming-in-the-small, as well as competence in using an imperative block-structured or object-oriented languages such as Java, C++, Pascal, Modula2, Ada or C
3. Practical knowledge of programming methods and computer organization
4. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or other scientific or technical discipline
5. In-depth knowledge of at least two of the following topics:
- Comparative Programming Languages
- Compiling Techniques
- Operating Systems
- Database Systems
6. Application materials for the graduate software engineering degree programs are as follows:
- a completed application form
- a well-developed statement of purpose (SOP)
- a 1-page summary of significant professional experience
- a current resume
- a video essay of yourself. Tell us something about yourself in a 1-2 minute video that we can't know from the rest of your application materials.
- unofficial undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts
- unofficial TOEFL (or equivalent) exam scores for all international applicants/non-U.S. citizens. All applicants whose mother language is not English must submit a TOEFL score even if they have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. educational institution. TOEFL scores are only valid and accepted if the score is no older than 2 years old IELTS test scores are also acceptable.
- Codility Testing - Test Window, January 17 - January 26, 2019 (midnight)
- application fee.
**Note: Official GRE and TOEFL score reports are required to be sent at the time of application. Please note that these will not be tracked until acceptance of admission offer.
Official hard copies of your transcripts will need to be sent upon acceptance of admission offer.