CSE Distance Admission Requirements
Applicants to the Certificate in Software Engineering (CSE) program typically program hold undergraduate degrees in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or physics. Programming experience is essential. A minimum of 6 months of industrial experience is required, preferably working as a member of a team on a significant software development project.
To enter the Carnegie Mellon program you must have:
1. Knowledge, at least at the level of an undergraduate course, of discrete mathematics, algorithms and data structures and programming languages
2. Skills in programming-in-the-small, as well as competence in using an imperative block-structured or object-oriented languages such as Java, C++, Ada or C
3. Practical knowledge of programming methods and computer organization
4. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or other scientific or technical discipline. Three-year undergraduate degrees from outside the United States (i.e., United Kingdom, India, etc.) are generally not considered to be the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor degree. A bachelor degree from an accredited institution is the minimum requirement for admission to our professional master's programs.
5. In-depth knowledge of at least two of the following topics:
- Comparative Programming Languages
- Compiling Techniques
- Operating Systems
- Database Systems
6. Application materials for the graduate software engineering degree programs are as follows:
- a completed application form
- a well-developed statement of purpose (SOP)
- a 1-page summary of significant professional experience
- a current resume
- unofficial undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts
- unofficial TOEFL (or equivalent) exam scores for all international applicants/non-U.S. citizens. In certain exceptional circumstances and at the program's discretion, the TOEFL requirement may be waived with evidence of undergraduate degree completion in the US coupled with additional US work experience.
- application fee.
Please see Prerequisite Knowledge for more detail about the required background in these areas.