CSE Admission Requirements
Applicants to the Certificate in Software Engineering (CSE) program typically program hold undergraduate degrees in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or physics. Programming experience is essential. A minimum of 6 months of industrial experience is required, preferably working as a member of a team on a significant software development project.
To enter the Carnegie Mellon program you must have:
1. Knowledge, at least at the level of an undergraduate course, of discrete mathematics, algorithms and data structures and programming languages
2. Skills in programming-in-the-small, as well as competence in using an imperative block-structured or object-oriented languages such as Java, C++, Pascal, Modula2, Ada or C
3. Practical knowledge of programming methods and computer organization
4. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or other scientific or technical discipline
5. In-depth knowledge of at least two of the following topics:
- Comparative Programming Languages
- Compiling Techniques
- Operating Systems
- Database Systems
6. Application materials for the graduate software engineering degree programs are as follows:
- a completed application form
- a well-developed statement of purpose (SOP)
- a 1-page summary of significant professional experience
- a current resume
- a video essay of yourself. Tell us something about yourself in a 1-2 minute video that we can't know from the rest of your application materials.
- unofficial undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts
- unofficial TOEFL (or equivalent) exam scores for all international applicants/non-U.S. citizens. In certain exceptional circumstances and at the program's discretion, the TOEFL requirement may be waived with evidence of undergraduate degree completion in the US coupled with additional US work experience.
- Codility Testing - Test Window, January 12 - January 20, 2018 (midnight)
- application fee.
**Note: Official GRE and TOEFL score reports are required to be sent at the time of application. Please note that these will not be tracked until acceptance of admission offer.
Official hard copies of your transcripts will need to be sent upon acceptance of admission offer.
**All applicants are required to complete a coding skills assessment test following submission of their application packet. The window for Codility testing is January 12 - January 20, 2018 (midnight).